BioAmber has built a significant patent portfolio through open innovation, which combines in-house innovation, R&D collaborations and technology licences. The intellectual property is either owned by BioAmber or under license and consists of the following:
- Patents and patent applications covering the organisms used to produce succinic acid.
- Patents and patent applications covering the purification process for succinic acid
- Patents and patent applications covering the use of succinic acid in certain applications, including deicers, surfactants, solvents and plasticizers
- Trade secrets covering proprietary know-how related to production and purification
- Patents and trade secrets related to the modification of PBS (Sinoven technology)
- Patents and trade secrets covering the conversion of succinic acid to BDO, THF and GBL